- Ilima-Lei Macfarlane successfully defended her flyweight title Friday night in the main event of Bellator 201 from Temecula, California live on Paramount Network. Macfarlane, who won the title last year, scored another submission victory, this time forcing Alejandra Lara to tap.
In the co-main event, Saad Awad bested Ryan Couture, the son of former UFC champion Randy Couture. Valerie Letourneau and Juan Archuleta each picked up wins on the main card, as well.
Complete results are below:
By Dana Becker on June 30, 2018
IMAGE CREDIT: BELLATOR MMA
Ilima-Lei Macfarlane shined in the main event of Bellator 201 Friday night, submitting Alejandra Lara to retain the flyweight title.
The event took place from the Pechanga Resort and Casino in Temecula, California with the main card airing live on Paramount Network.
Macfarlane, who claimed the belt with a submission victory over Emily Ducote late last year, is now 8-0 with five submission wins to her credit.
In the co-main event, Saad Awad stopped Ryan Couture in the first round via strikes.
Former UFC title contender Valerie Letourneau stayed hot on the heels of Macfarlane, earning a decision over Kristina Williams, and Juan Archuleta stopped Robbie Peralta in the third round.
Among those posting wins on the prelims were prospects Ed Ruth, Joey Davis and Tyrell Fortune. Ruth and Fortune each earned second round TKOs.
Results can be found below:
* Ilima-Lei Macfarlane def. Alejandra Lara via submission (armbar) at 3:55 of Round 3 to remain Bellator flyweight champion
* Saad Awad def. Ryan Couture via TKO (strikes) at 4:29 of Round 1
* Valerie Letourneau def. Kristina Williams via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Juan Archuleta def. Robbie Peralta via KO (strike) at :14 of Round 3
* Ed Ruth def. Andy Murad via TKO (strikes) at 4:59 of Round 2
* Joey Davis def. Craig Plaskett via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
* Tyrell Fortune def. Giovanni Sarran via TKO (strikes) at 4:35 of Round 2
* Jordan Young def. Jamal Pogues via submission (triangle choke) at 3:15 of Round 3
* Keri Melendez def. Tiani Valle via submission (rear-naked choke) in Round 1
- The UFC will kickoff summer with UFC 226 next Saturday night live on pay-per-view from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. In the featured bout, heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic defends his title against Daniel Cormier. Cormier, the reigning light heavyweight champion, will try to join Conor McGregor as the only fighters in UFC history to hold two titles at the same time.
Max Holloway defends his featherweight title against Brian Ortega, Derrick Lewis meets Francis Ngannou and Anthony Pettis takes on Michael Chiesa.
Wrestling Inc. will have complete coverage of the card.
MAIN CARD (PPV/10 p.m. ET)
UFC Heavyweight Championship
Stipe Miocic (c) vs. Daniel Cormier
UFC Featherweight Championship
Max Holloway (c) vs. Brian Ortega
* Heavyweight: Derrick Lewis vs. Francis Ngannou
* Lightweight: Anthony Pettis vs. Michael Chiesa
* Light Heavyweight: Gokhan Saki vs. Khalil Rountree Jr.
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1/8 p.m. ET)
* Middleweight: Uriah Hall vs. Paulo Costa
* Welterweight: Paul Felder vs. Mike Perry
* Bantamweight: Raphael Assuncao vs. Rob Font
* Welterweight: Curtis Millender vs. Max Griffin
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass/6:30 p.m. ET
* Lightweight: Dan Hooker vs. Gilbert Burns
* Lightweight: Lando Vannata vs. Drakkar Klose
* Strawweight: Jamie Moyle vs. Emily Whitmire
- UFC fighter Paige VanZant will need to undergo more surgery on her injured arm, but that isn't stopping her from thinking about competing. VanZant is making a push to join a redemption series of "Dancing with the Stars" after placing second. And if you needed a reason to go and help her get the word out, VanZant offered it up on Twitter:
Today in Huntington?? pic.twitter.com/adZLfGEhtU— Paige VanZant (@PaigeVanzantUFC) June 30, 2018